Kitty Knits

May 08, 2006

Too much yarn?

As you may or may not know, May 1st was my 26th birthday. My DBF took me to Davis and Main for dinner. If you are a cheesecake connoisseur like me, no one makes it better than this place! It's in the fan on...the corner of Davis and Main. Imagine that. Then, we went to the Martini Kitchen and Bubbles Bar where I proceeded to get pretty drunk...on a Monday night. Heh. I don't know which was better: getting drunk, eating that awesome cheesecake with pomegranate sauce, or being given a gift certificate for an hour-long massage at the Slip Salon.

Anyway, because the festival was scheduled for the weekend after my birthday, I had been planning my trip to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival for quite some time anticipating that I would have lots of birthday money to spend. Having that been said, I think that I did end up with a pretty good pile 'o yarn by the time we left on Saturday.

I found this awesome yarn from Brooks Farm Yarn that I am going to use to make Clapotis. I should also have enough left over to make this awesome scarf whose pattern I got free with the purchase. I also found this circular needle case (it holds 10-30 pairs of needles, depending upon whether you put multiple sets in one space) that is made by Crippen Works. Because I sew, I am pretty critical of other's work. This needle case is made of a durable Waverly home dec fabric and is certainly well-made. I can't wait to start using it!

I also got some Koigu that is destined to become a pair of socks (the navy skeins) and a few of the heart sachets that were featured on Interweave Knits at one point (the multi skein). The two skeins of pink yarn (color: Thistleflower) are from Shelridge Farm in Canada. I think that I am going to make another pair of socks out of this using a pattern from Interweave Knits. The red skein at the bottom right is from Ellyn Cooper's Yarn Sonnets in Sprague, CT. The color is "Texas Big Horn." I really like this yarn. It's made of 55% mohair/45% wool. I'm going to make a scarf out of it. I haven't decided on the pattern yet. The skein at the upper left is from the same vendor. It's a fine, 100% merino yarn. The color is Lovebird. I'm going to make a curly Q scarf with it using the pattern that I got with the purchase. The picture doesn't do it justice. The colors in this stuff are awesome. THEN, I got the mini kacha kacha...I was so excited to have found it. Ribbity Knits wouldn't be completed without it seeing as how it resembles a frog and all...

With the exception of the Koigu, which can't be purchased locally here in Richmond, I tried to find unique, hand-dyed yarns that I can't get anywhere else. While I was extremely tempted by Dancing Leaf (as always!), I decided to wait until October when we go to Montpelier. She always has such a nice selection...and there are less people at the Fall Fiber Festival.

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I bought one of those needle rolls too--they are gorgeous! I am all about pretending to be organized.....I love the way she uses mismatched vintage buttons for the rolls.

What a haul! you two did great!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

There used to be a place in the fan called the "Lighthouse" restaurant that had the very best cheesecake I've ever had -- incredibly airy, fluffy filling that was four inches high. Unfortunately, I think they're closed. I sure hope that that pastry chef is still in the area -- perhaps he is now making cheesecake at Davis & Main?

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home