Kitty Knits

May 08, 2006

Maryland Sheep and Wool

A wise person once said, "There ain't no such thing as too much yarn." Thus my attendance at "the festival." This is the first of two posts about my adventures at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, which is held in May every year in Howard County Maryland. Many thanks to Lou for taking all of the pictures this year (yes, it would have helped if I had remembered to bring my memory card for my camera...).

8:30am: Lou and I hit the road like two squealing teenage girls for what is expected to be the yarn event of the season!

9:00am: Amanda decides that she cannot live life one more second without a sausage bagel and a trip to the potty (both of which MUST have been brought on from all of the excitement!).

11:30am: Lou and Amanda arrive at their hotel and proceed to get very "incomplete" directions from the hotel staff as to exactly how we are to go about getting to the Howard County Fairgrounds.

1:30pm: Arrive at festival. Note: we got a little lost.

Upon arrival it was all I could do not to pee my pants or run around squealing like a teenage girl (yes, lots of that going on) who just got asked to the prom (or both!!). It just doesn't get any better than 5 zillion skeins of yarn in one place!

Lou and I made our way to the Main Exhibit Hall first thing in search of some Koigu and a few other "must see" vendors. I thought that my head was going to explode...there was so much yarn! Talk about overload. There must have been 5 trillion people in that building. I actually think that I started to get a little clausterphobic...

We made it through the Main Exhibit Hall only to find that the Koigu booth was...empty? There was not one single skein of yarn to be found. Luckily, there were other vendors there who were also selling it that we ran across later in the day. Then...it was time for lunch.

To quote Lou, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." This is all in reference to the deep fried twinkies. Check out my debut on the blog:

I had big plans to get a twinkie but ended up with an eclair when it was all said and done. Seriously, these were the biggest eclairs that I had ever seen...yummy.

I don't think that the trip would have been complete if we didn't check out all of the sheep, rabbits, goats and alpaca. One of them was even nice enough to have her picture taken with us!

Then look who we found! I especially liked the baby goat. I was seriously trying to figure out how I could take him home with me!

Toward the end of the day, a lack of sleep and all of the excitement caught up with me. I started to get a little crazy. Check out my horse:

Look at me, I'm laughing so hard I look Asian :) Here we are with lots of yarn, food and a t-shirt:

I couldn't leave the festival without kettle corn (since I did manage to forget it when I went to Montpelier in October). The perfect end to a perfect day:


1 Comments:

Anonymous vicki said...

Well that explains why you didn't call me! I'm glad y'all made it in safely and had fun. Are you coming to Panera tomorrow night?

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home