Kitty Knits

December 04, 2005

Knit On

I've begun the last sleeve for my sweater. There is now light at the end of the tunnel. I will post more pictures when I start the collar. I mean, who hasn't seen a sleeve?

I'm in search of a magnetic board for the pattern for the Dale of Norway sweater (Book 126) that I'm going to knit next. I noticed that KnitPicks has it, but I want to check around locally first. Here is what the sweater looks like:

Won't I be the cutest ski bunny EVER in this?!? Admittedly, it will be several ski seasons from now before I actually am able to wear it. Did I mention that I'm the "leisurely" knitter? I guess that is my nice way of saying that I knit slowly. Perhaps I will teach myself to knit Continental before I start my gauge swatch...Then, I can be like the Yarn Harlot. On December 2, 2005 she wrote, "... It's like my hands are a blur. Stand back so you don't get hit with flying lint. Yee haw. " She cracks me up :)

On the side, I've been seriously contemplating cutting the facing fabric for my living room curtains. Did I miss the memo that went out about hell freezing over? If I can just bring myself to put the Fiskars and the rotary cutter to work, I can get to the fun part...sewing on the Bernina! My goal is to have the fabric cut and be sewing before the end of the year.

I can officially say that I have been mauled by my Christmas decorations. I'm typing through the pain from all of the cuts on my hands. Who would have thought that you could sustain "serious" injuries from putting up some garland and a Christmas tree? Where was that warning label? :)

Today is the very first meeting of the Richmond, VA Kappa Alpha Theta Alumni Chapter. I also finished my paperwork for the Junior League...late. I miss the deadline EVERY YEAR! So, I'm going to the office on Monday to plead my case and drop everything off. They can't possibly refuse the $200+ that is costs to join can they? If so, I'm going to resort to the cute face and see if that works. ():) Between all of this, the ski club and the advisory board, I'm feeling pretty civic. Now, if only I could find an organ to practice on and the money for cello lessons...

I'm also doing my Physics class research so that I can enroll in January in time to take the MCAT in either the spring or the fall. This is top secret (except for the part where I published it on the internet - ha!) because my parents and friends think that it is a bad idea. It seems strange, doesn't it? What "parental unit" wouldn't want to be able to say that their daughter is an MD? They think that I will be giving up my chance to be a devoted wife and soccer mom. Realistically, why am I going to plan around a family that I don't even have? I see people dying of cancer everyday and feel pain when I think that I have the potential to improve their quality of life. I am slowly finding that cancer research (which is what I do full-time) isn't a substitute for what I feel I could be doing. It is for this reason that my co-workers are adamant that I go. At the end of the day, it's really about what I want. I've wanted to be a "baby doctor" since I was six. I'm 25 and want to be a pediatric oncologist. If I haven't changed my mind in almost 20 years, it may be safe to say that I know what I want to be when I grow up...


3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Wow - intarsia! Impressive! That scares the heck out of me! More power to ya!

As far as the Med School thing - if it's what you want, go for it! I went to undergrad thinking that's what I wanted, but changed my mind somewhere in my junior or senior year. If you haven't changed your mind, then go for it! And we have a great school right here in town, so it's not like you'd have to move.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you can make a sweater. I am sooo impressed. Your SP6. final package coming soon. I thought this ended 12/31, but was informed I am now late, what a dope.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda! I just checked by UPS tracking, and your SP6 box should be to you by 12/11/05. How exciting. Your Secret Pal!!

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home